Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Baby Shower Preparation

It's a little stressful to plan a party, especially a baby shower, especially for someone who is very artistic and expects perfection. (Did I say Janice?!?! haha) I'd never planned or hosted a baby shower before. This is my first time, my first time being a real auntie Sydney.

Back in April, we had the idea of throwing a baby shower for Janice & Will. We first picked a day and time in May, which is approximately two months before the baby's due date. Then we went to Babies"R"Us to "take a look" and register for the baby gift registry. It's a little overwhelming to see so many baby items in the store and so many brand names to choose from.

The difficult part of the planning is to come up with the guest list. Who should we invite? We ended up with a list of more than 70 people. Babies"R"Us provides free invitation cards and envelopes for people who have baby registry with them. I printed one by one and hand-delivered, emailed, and mailed out the invitations two weeks before the baby shower date.
The difficult part of the planning is waiting for people to RSVP. I guess people don't really do that at all. I had to make a lot of phone calls four days before the shower in order for me to have a head count. Otherwise it's really hard to plan and prepare the foods and party favors.

Once I know the approximate head count, it's time to get things moving! We started shopping around for decorations, favors, materials needed for games, and ordered cakes and foods for refreshments. The pressure was on but it was a lot of fun.