Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Happy Chinese New Year


Didn't feel like Chinese New Year at all till I stepped into the church on Sunday night. We had our second annual Chinese New Year Celebration. There were red lanterns hanging from the ceiling, traditional music and songs for Chinese New Year, and most of us wore the Chinese clothes/dresses. The frustrating part about it is that the Chinese dress I wore last year didn't fit anymore this time. I tried to squeeze myself in the dress and I think I looked like a sausage...haha. I don't think I would be able to sit down in that dress, so I borrowed my mom's vast instead.

What did we do to celebrate?? FOODS!!! Lots of FOODS!! It's just so exciting to see people bringing all kinds of dishes. After the dinner, we had a program of folk dances, live music performances, and giving out red envelopes.

Speaking of red envelopes, someone at work gave me "two" red envelopes today to wish me happy Chinese New Year. Two?! She said one is from her and the other from her husband, but I don't even know her husband at all! I was so surprised and she said that it's a tradition to give out two envelopes if the couple is together. She is Cantonese, maybe it is the tradition from Hong Kong?!

2007 is the year of pig. My goal is to keep eating and eating and eating....j/k. =)


Chinese New Year Celebration Photos